History

3The Harford Center, Inc. was established in February, 1961 using the living room of Dr. and Mrs. Gerald Palmer, and was originally named the Harford County Day Care Center.

The Program served individuals with severe and profound disabilities. It soon outgrew the living room and was moved to a building on Hays Street in Bel Air. From there, the Program moved to a church building on N. Main Street in Bel Air where it remained until October, 1978. The Program then moved to its present location at 4 N. Earlton Road in Havre De Grace, previously known as the Liberty Baptist Church and School. On June 7, 1971, the Center became a quasi-public board. In September, 1978, the school-age children were absorbed into the public school system. Since then, the Center has provided a day-habilitation program for adults over the age of 21.

The Harford Center sets apart from other service providers in the provision of individualized programming for the individual with severe and profound cognitive limitations and multiple disabilities. In July, 2014, the Center opened a second site at 708 Highland Road in Street Maryland. The Street location’s programming focuses on pre-vocational skills for the individuals attending that program. Its mission is to support individuals in the workforce, develop job skills, and community partnerships.

The future of the Harford Center is very bright with goals of developing a supported employment program for individuals that are interested in working in the community.

HARFORD-CENTER2

4 N. Earlton Rd
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
(410) 939-1420
(410) 575-6795